The History of Lowside Quarter
Lowside Quarter is in the County of Cumbria in the Borough Of Copeland and has 4 main hamlets – Nethertown, Middletown, Coulderton and Braystones. It is on the Irish Sea coast of Cumbria with beach bungalows at Coulderton, Nethertown and Braystones. There are Railway Stations at Nethertown and Braystones and there is a limited bus service to Egremont 6 days a week.
The first Parish Council is recorded on a memorial tablet on Braystones Tower where John Quayle for 36 years was overseer of the Parish, he opened the Tower on 22nd June 1897 with Thomas Jenkinson and Edward Steele, Chairman and Vice Chairman of the first Parish Council.
On 1st April 1934 Ennerdale Rural District Council was created with Lowside Quarter in Ennerdale Rural District. It survived in the District until 1974 when the Local Government Act 1972 was introduced and the Parish was merged with other Districts to form Copeland Borough.
There are 7 Councillors on the Parish Council who are all volunteers.
The village is on the Irish Sea Coast, it used to have a School with the Sunday School meeting in the same building which was a part of St. Bees Parochial Church. The building has now been converted into a dwelling. During WW2 there was an Anti Aircraft Training Camp in Nethertown. In the late 1940’s and early 1950’s it then housed workers constructing the Sellafield Nuclear Plant and following that the canteen was converted into a dance venue ‘Tow Bar Inn’, it remained open until the 1980’s when it closed its doors for the last time. The ‘Tow Bar Inn’ site has now been redeveloped into a Park Home.
There are a few beach bungalows remaining and there is a Railwail Station a short distance to the north of the village.
The village has a handful of properties with beach bungalows along the foreshore but it is mainly a farming community.
The village has a few properties, mainly farming communities but there are two garden centres close by.
The village is on the Irish Sea Coast with the Cumbrian Coast Railway Line running along the coast, the railway has been there since 1850 and is mainly agricultural. There are two caravan parks in Braystones which have helped increase holiday visitiors with many beach bungalows on the foreshore, some are holiday lets and others are permanent homes. Braystones Tower sits on the outskirts of the village on the bank of the River Ehen.